Roughly translated: Eddie Genborg’s still battling an injury suffered last spring in Grand Rapids; Genborg still hopes to start the SHL season with Timra IK

Via Red Wings Prospects on Twitter/X, Wings prospect and Timra IK forward Eddie Genborg spoke with Sundsvalls Tidning’s Albin Sjoberg regarding an undisclosed injury which has sidelined Genborg for the SHL’s preseason thus far.

It’s a behind-the-paywall article, but Hockeysverige.se’s Simon Eld provides us with a peek behind the paywall while informing us of Genborg’s status:

Uncertainty – after the injury: “It’s a little unclear”

An injury suffered during last season’s conclusion in the AHL has caused problems this summer for Eddie Genborg. Now the Timrå prospect gives a new answer regarding the uncertainty about whether he starts the 2026/27 season.

“It’s a bit unclear, so I can’t say too much,” the 19-year-old told Sundsvalls Tidning.

Immediately after [the SHL season ended,] Eddie Genborg went over to North America to finish last year’s season in the AHL, his agent, Hampus Forsling, confirmed that the [Red Wings’] plan was to [allow him to] play on Timrå IK 2026/27. Since then, the summer has featured both a development camp with Detroit Red Wings, where the JVM hero did not go on ice, and also continued words that there are no guarantees of games in the SHL.

Now Sundsvalls Tidning has met with the 19-year-old forward to try to sort out a couple of question marks.


“It’s been a bit unclear all summer. I may not have been quite a hundred percent and had little flaws, but it still looks like I will start [the season] here, I think so anyway. It’s a bit unclear, so I can’t say too much, but it looks like it anyway,” Genborg told the newspaper on Thursday.

One explanation for uncertainty has been the injury Genborg now confirms that he was pulling [an injury suffered during] the first playoff game in the AHL. He has now put a quiet summer behind him.

Ready to shoulder a bigger role in Timrå: “My goal”

Earlier, in April, Genborg went over to North America to attend Detroit’s pre-season camp. Now, with uncertainty, he looks towards playing in the SHL this autumn, where he hopes to take on a bigger role after both Jonathan Dahlén and Emil Pettersson left Timrå.

“That’s my goal, what I’m aiming for, and I’m going to do everything to earn that chance. I still like that expectations will be higher [for me], and hope that I can prove that I will continue to be on the ice as much as I got to be last year,” he told ST.

The 19-year-old also hits back at the experts who have tapped Timrå at the bottom of the table again.

“I don’t think about it. They tapped us pretty low last year too, but you just go out and do your best every day. We’re going to win of course, too, because you always want to do that. They may well talk a little bit what they think, but inside our locker room, we only focus on what we can focus on,” he said.

Published by

George Malik

My name is George Malik, and I'm the Malik Report's editor/blogger/poster. I have been blogging about the Red Wings since 2006, and have worked with MLive and Kukla's Korner. Thank you for reading!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *