So it’s Saturday, and I’m just peeking my head out from under the covers as my depression starts to abate. I hate having a chronic illness, and if you’ll pardon the pun, it drives me nuts when it interferes with my ability to churn out content.
It’s not good business sense for a new blogger to go dark for three-and-a-half days, I know, but when a depressive episode hits, it’s like getting knocked off my feet with an 8-foot-tall wave of fatigue, and that wave gives me no inkling as to when I might be able to get up. A couple of hours? A couple of days? A couple of weeks? It’s all very murky at first, and that’s frightening more than depressing.
I’m trying to get up now, and trying to look around.
Where are we, as Wings fans?
- Two more losses deep into what’s now an 0-8-and-1 slide. Losses to Los Angeles and Anaheim, back-to-back.
- I’ve got my DVR ready, and when Saturday night’s Sportsnet Headlines are over, Ill be watching at least one of the games, hopefully both before tomorrow night’s 3 PM start. At least last night’s game had some life to it, or so I’m told.
- We’re apparently knee deep into the discussion as to whether Jared Coreau can play as Jimmy Howard’s back-up going forward, with the media and fans leaning toward, “No.”
- I did at least read the Detroit News’s Ted Kulfan suggest that the Wings should call Petr Mrazek and consider bringing him back, and I laughed out loud at that one. Petr would say, “No,” Ted, and I say that with all the respect in the world intended.
- The Tank is now of common knowledge among the fan base and is being discussed at length. This annoys me to no end as I want to see the Wings at least be competitive to provide a better example for their struggling players…
- But this is what I’ve meant when I’ve said that, “Water will find its level” all year long–the Red Wings are going to finish where their skill level, depth of talent and competence at hockey belong, just as water conforms to the shape of its container.
- It’s also no longer inappropriate to talk about players taking part in the World Championship this May in Denmark (see: Larkin, Abdelkader and Howard may reprise their roles on Team USA; will AA and Mantha play for Canada?)…
- Nor is it inappropriate to start talking about the tight playoff race in the AHL’s West Division as it applies to the Grand Rapids Griffins as perhaps being of equal importance to the Red Wings’ record. The Red Wings will have playoff teams representing the organization this month, and they’ll be the Griffins and Toledo Walleye.
- Along those lines, there is at least some minor intrigue regarding the Red Wings’ pursuit of NCAA free agents. With David Pope almost sure to sign with the Wings, is there anyone out there that you’re interested in?
- Ah, and yes, of course, there is what’s going on with the website. Unless you’ve got any desire to submit a logo (250 px by 250 px and 150 px by 500 px, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org), I believe that it’s time to gather the entries together and get a vote going. After the logo contest comes the website redesign, so prepare your ideas!
- Again, this is a shit time to talk about it, but I can’t believe it, I’ve gotten two patrons during my involuntary siesta, and http://www.patreon.com/themalikreport and http://paypal.me/TheMalikReport exist to extend the community and keep this website ad-free…God, I feel embarrassed mentioning this in this post, but I wanted to cover all the bases. I hope this is a start.
- If you have any comments or concerns regarding anything else, please do leave them in the comments section or email me or Facebook message me as necessary.
- Thank you for reading, and now I’m going to try to get back to covering hockey: