Of 2020 NHL draft-related note this morning:
- ESPN’s Chris Peters has already surmised what might happen at this year’s NHL draft, and this morning, in an article for ESPN+, Peters ranks his top 100 prospects, giving a certain player linked to the Wings his #4 overall ranking…
4. Cole Perfetti, C, Saginaw (OHL)
Age: 18 | Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 177
Shot: L | Previous rank: 5
He can score, he can make plays and his skill is elite. But what I like best about Perfetti are his vision and offensive sense, giving him the ability to pick apart opposing defenses on the rush or in the zone. He can extend plays and seems to always have a plan with the puck on his stick. Perfetti has a pure release on his shot and snaps passes about as well as anyone else in the class. His skating is closer to average, but that is a much bigger problem for players who can’t think the game the way Perfetti does.
2. And The Athletic’s Corey Pronman takes on the massive task of attempting to discern what will happen in each and every one of the NHL draft’s 7 rounds, also listing a certain prospect as the Wings’ probable pick:
4. Detroit Red Wings: Cole Perfetti, C, Saginaw-OHL
The only two names I’ve heard recently linked to Detroit by multiple sources are Perfetti and goaltender Yaroslav Askarov. One source made a good point regarding Perfetti, in that so many people seem to think that’s who Detroit is taking that it’s almost suspicious. Ultimately, I have to go with what all my information is telling me, even if my instinct says that Askarov, defenseman Jake Sanderson or forward Lucas Raymond could very well go at this spot.
Update: Sportsnet’s Sam Cosentino ranks his top prospects for the 2020 draft as well, and he goes away from Perfetti:
4. Jake Sanderson, D, (USNTDP): With the recency bias of the tough and physical Stanley Cup Playoffs, it will be hard to pass-up a defender who has both of those characteristics and who showed signs of being a strong offensive player as the year wore on.