Tweets of note from Tyler Bertuzzi’s press conference

As you might imagine…

Red Wings F Tyler Bertuzzi called it a “life choice” to refuse COVID-19 vaccine. Said he knows it means he can’t play in Canada (9 games) but reiterated it’s personal choice.— Helene St. James (@HeleneStJames) September 23, 2021

Bertuzzi says the choice to not get vaccinated a personal decision; talked about it with family #RedWings— Ted Kulfan (@tkulfan) September 23, 2021

Tyler Bertuzzi says he feels about 95 percent healthy, with the other five percent being getting back into game shape— Ethan Sears (@ethan_sears) September 23, 2021

Bert says he’s about 95% there physically. The other 5% is getting game ready. @DetroitRedWings #DRWTC— Carley Johnston (@carleykjohnston) September 23, 2021

I’ll post the video as soon as it’s available.

Update: Here’s more from the Detroit News’s Ted Kulfan:

“It went fine, it was good,” Bertuzzi said of his chat with general manager Steve Yzerman about his decision not to get vaccinated. ”It’s a life choice, a personal choice. Personal choice.”

Bertuzzi said he’s talked with teammates about his decision.

“Everything is good, same as normal,” Bertuzzi said.

Bertuzzi didn’t think twice about his decision to not get vaccinated.

“It was pretty set in stone,” Bertuzzi said.

Update: The Free Press posted a clip of the Bertuzzi presser:

Update #2: Here’s more from the Free Press’s Helene St. James:

“It’s a personal choice, freedom of choice, and life choice,” Bertuzzi said Thursday after participating in the first day of training camp at Centre Ice Arena. “It’s a personal choice, and I made it.”

Bertuzzi, 26, said he made his decision with “family and fiancée’s family. It’s personal choice. It’s personal.” Bertuzzi announced on social media earlier this month that his fiancee, Ashley Greasley, are expecting their first baby.

Teams cannot mandate a player be vaccinated, but they suspend him without pay for missing hockey activities. Bertuzzi would miss upwards of $400,000 because he cannot play in Canada.

Update: Here’s the Red Wings’ video:

Published by

George Malik

My name is George Malik, and I'm the Malik Report's editor/blogger/poster. I have been blogging about the Red Wings since 2006, when MLive hired me to work their SlapShots blog, and I joined Kukla's Korner in 2011 as The Malik Report. I'm starting The Malik Report as a stand-alone site, hoping that having my readers fund the website is indeed the way to go to build a better community and create better content.