The Detroit Red Wings attempted to sustain their winning streak as they hosted the Ottawa Senators for a matinee game on Saturday afternoon.
In a somewhat sleepy game, the Red Wings won 2-0 thanks to goals from Larkin and Athanasiou, superb positional and systems play by the Red Wings, a 31-save shutout by Howard and…lackadaisical, un-energetic play by the Senators.
The Senators’ lineup as known prior to the game, per the Ottawa Senators’ Twitter account…
ICYMI: Mike Condon starts in goal today. No other line-up changes are expected. pic.twitter.com/9nJndCBKiU
— Ottawa Senators (@Senators) March 31, 2018
So this lineup would hold true:
White checks in and Anderson starts in goal against the Panthers. Here’s a look at the #Sens projected line-up tonight.
— Ottawa Senators (@Senators) March 29, 2018
The Red Wings’ lineup was known as well:
— Detroit Red Wings (@DetroitRedWings) March 31, 2018
The Senators started Jean-Gabriel Pageau, Tom Pyatt and Mike Hoffman at forward, Mark Borowiecki and Cody Ceci on defense and Mike Condon in goal;
The Red Wings started Darren Helm, Dylan Larkin and Anthony Mantha at forward, Danny DeKeyser and Joe Hicketts on defense and Jimmy Howard in goal.
Evgeny Romasko and Eric Furlatt refereed the game, with David Brisebois and Mark Shewchyk working the lines.
The 1st period
1st period observations:
- Larkin drew in for the opening faceoff against Pyatt and he won the draw; Detroit chipped and chased, with Helm feeding Hicketts for a screened shot that was blocked. Larkin and Mantha tried to cycle, but Pageau cleared the puck out to center;
- Detroit raced back into the Senators’ zone, and Larkin was stuffed by Condon.
- Zetterberg, Nyquist and Bertuzzi took to the ice for an offensive zone faceoff, and the trio lost the draw; Ottawa chugged up via a 3-line pass to a pinching Duchene behind the Wings’ defense, and while his breakaway attempt was stifled, Duchene got the first Sens shot of the game 42 seconds into the 1st. Howard smothered thep uck for a faceoff.
- Detroit won the defensive zone draw, and cleared the zone, forcing the Sens back in offside some 57 seconds into the 1st;
- Nielsen drew in for the draw to Howard’s left, and he lost it, but Ceci could not keep the puck in, and he dumped so the Sens could change, with Kronwall and Jensen sending the puck up ice, where Nielsen, Abdelkader and Athanasiou chased it down and ground it along the Sens’ boards and center ice in front of the teams’ benches.
- Ottawa took over at center, and Chlapik’s dump-and- chase was “fielded” down ice by the Wings, who took an icing call.
- Glendening, Frk and Svechnikov completed the Wings’ four-line rotation some 3 minutes into the 1st period, battling the puck out to center, into the Sens’ zone, back to center, and into the Sens’ zone;
- DeKeyser chipped and Detroit chased again…
And Mike Hoffman took a holding penalty at 2:36.
- Hicketts pushed the puck to and from Dylan Larkin as the Wings won their faceoff, Nielsen and Frk tried to cycle, but the Sens were able to clear the zone;
- Hicketts raced up to the blueline, dropped the puck for Larkin, and he fed Frk on the right wing. Frk’s passes were blocked off and Ottawa cleared their zone and changed;
- With 1:03 remaining in the PP, Detroit held steady personnel-wise, with Frk, Larkin and Mantha cycling to the line, where Kronwall and Hicketts set up, and Hicketts pinched for a shot…
- So Ottawa raced away 2-on-1, and Howard stopped Max McCormick’s shorthanded rush.
- Kronwall took over and afforded Detroit a line change, and Zetterberg coughed up the puck at the blueline, affording Ottawa a 3-on-2 situation.
- The Wings were unable to generate as much as a shot on the power play.
- Nyquist fed DeKeyser for a fine shot attempt in the offensive zone as the PK ended, and DeKeyser’s shot was blocked out of play by Ceci.
- Ottawa set up in the Wings’ zone off the center ice faceoff, but Detroit raced away via an outlet pass to Athanasiou as Detroit changed, and AA was held up at the Sens’ line, sans call…
And instead, Athanasiou was called for hooking at 5:40.
- Larkin and Glendening came out and took the draw at the Sens’ line (for some reason), they lost it, but Detroit “fielded” the Sens’ dump-in and cleared the zone;
- Karlsson carried the puck to center and dropped it to Dzingel, Glendening could not clear, and Karlsson helmed the PP with Hoffman and Duchene, cycling in an umbrella formation. Howard made a good stop from the slot at 6:29;
- Glendening was then waved out of the faceoff dot, and Larkin won the draw to Jensen and then DeKeyser, who cleared the zone;
- Ottawa set up and slowly worked their way into the Wings’ zone, with Jensen and DeKeyser tapping the puck to Larkin, and Helm was able to generate a near-breakaway, but Helm stopped and passed to Larkin instead…
- And Detroit did not get a shot off.
- Ericsson and Nielsen then struggled to move the puck, and Paajarvi was able to poke the take a lateral pass and send a shot in on Howard, who “snow angel’ed” to stifle the rebound.
- With 15 seconds remaining in the PK, Ottawa won the deep zone faceoff, Hoffman got a shot off, Ottawa re-set at center, and Paajarvi and Chlapik worked the puck out front for a scoring chance that Howard stopped as the power play expired.
- Ottawa and Detroit tangled in the defensive zone, and Nielsen, Larkin and Athanasiou combined to send a shot in on Condon–the Wings’ 2nd shot–over 8 minutes into the 1st period;
- Athanasiou, Larkin and Mantha then set up a chance for Mantha that was stick-checked away in the slot, and another attempt by Larkin to “lead” Athanasiou via a flip pass was iced;
- Larkin lost the defensive zone faceoff, and the Senators cycled down low, but a Howard poke check prevented a scoring chance coming out of the corner;
- Bertuzzi hopped over the boards and worked the puck into the Sens’ zone, where Zetterberg pushed the puck deep, Hicketts pinched and jabbed a shot near the Sens’ net, and Ottawa’s Karlsson dumped and chased.
- The first TV timeout hit at 9:58, and at 9:58, Detroit was out-shot 6-3, but attempts were 8-8; hits 4-2 Ottawa; giveaways 3-1 Detroit, takeaways 1-1; blocked shots 4-2 Ottawa; faceoffs 7-5 Ottawa (42%).
- I apologize for the lack of player names; I’m unfamiliar with the Sens’ roster, and Ken and Mickey were in Story Time mode.
- Zetterberg drew in for the post-TV timeout draw, Nyquist and Daley cycled down low, Bertuzzi got hacked and whacked sans call, and Detroit worked the puck to the point, sent it deep, and the Wings were blocked off by a Sens team stifled through center ice.
- Ottawa’s second attempt to penetrate the Wings’ zone worked, and Zetterberg and Nyquist cleared the puck out of trouble.
- Wolanin sent the puck up through center into the Wings’ zone, but Jensen attempted to clear, Athanasiou, Larkin and Frk battled out front, and Howard made a fine stop…
But Nick Jensen was called for interference at 11:10, yielding another Senators power play.
- At 11:10, Detroit was out-shot 7-3 and out-attempted 10-8; hits 4-3 Ottawa; giveaways 4-2 Detroit; takeaways 1-1; blocked shots 4-2 Ottawa; faceoffs 7-7 (50%).
- Larkin lost the deep defensive zone draw and Ottawa sent up umbrella style, with Howard stopping Hoffman, Larkin battling Hoffman for the puck and ultimately stripping Duchene thereof;
- Ottawa chipped and chased into the Wings’ zone, and Daley was overpowered, but Larkin helped vs. Pageau and Dzingel, and Glendening cleared the zone, so Detroit changed.
- With 1:10 remaining in the PK, Ottawa completed a Kronwall Drop at center ice, but the Wings stood up at the line and stifled the Sens’ break-in;
- Ottawa had to re-set in their own zone and skate through center, where they chipped and chased; Howard was unable to clear himself, and Ceci tried to set up Ryan for a shot; instead, the Wings blocked a couple of shot attempts and cleared the zone with 15 remaining in the PK.
- Ottawa worked the puck back into the Wings’ zone, cycling hard, and Howard had to stop Chabot in front…
- And Jensen raced back into the play, doing a fine job of stifling a Sens 3-on-2 grind down low.
- Detroit battled the puck through center, and Athanasiou rushed into the Sens’ zone, sending a backhander wide of Condon;
- Mantha and Svechnikov generated another shot attempt before the Sens iced the puck (sans call, again);
- Zetterberg took over with 5:35 left in the 1st, and Detroit slowly but surely worked the puck through center, with Zetterberg and Nyquist trying to set up possession deep.
- Instead, Wolanin and company chipped into the Wings’ zone, and Hicketts and DeKeyser battled the puck around the back boards to center ice. Zetterberg was stifled by Dzingel and the sens skated through center, into the Wings’ zone, and Ceci was blocked off but the Sens rushed back to stifle a Wings rush, going offside in the process.
- At 15:21, Detroit was out-shot 9-4 and out-attempted 13-10; hits 7-3 Ottawa; giveaways 6-3 Detroit; takeaways 2-1 Detroit; blocked shots 4-3 Ottawa; faceoffs 8-6 Ottawa (57%).
- When play resumed, Detroit cleared its zone and Nielsen and Abdelkader worked the puck up to Athanasiou, whose rush was parried away; DeKeyser raced through center and jabbed the puck deep, with Larkin taking over at the Sens’ line; Svechnikov pushed the puck back through center to avoid a Senators backcheck, and he worked the puck to Mantha, but Ottawa dumped the puck down, and Sens cleared to center and cycled, re-set at center, and Hicketts and DeKeyser got a little lucky as Hoffman sent a turnaround shot just wide of the net.
- Ottawa re-set in their own zone as Karlsson sent a puck through center, with Hicketts chipping the puck all the way back down the ice for an icing call with 2:21 remaining.
- In a chippy game, Detroit’s Zetterberg won the defensive zone draw, and Hicketts tried to send the puck up ice, but he was blocked as the bouncer put him offside.
- Zetterberg drew in for an offensive zone draw, he won it, Bertuzzi took some hacks down low and protected the puck, Zetterberg came in to help, and the Wings worked the puck to the point, pushed it deep, and mashed and banged the Sens’ defense;
- Ottawa cleared the puck over Kronwall’s head, #55 set up with Jensen and sent the puck through center, and Athanasiou pressured the Senators’ defense, forcing the Sens to chip and chase.
- Duchene was unable to set up on the cycle, so Daley found Abdelkader, Ericsson poked at the puck but missed, and Nielsen cleared the zone.
- With 41 seconds remaining, Ottawa cleared the puck to center, Larkin and Svechnikov raced back into the Sens’ end and sent a shot just wide, and Hicketts held the puck in, but Ottawa cleared to center, Hicketts chipped the puck to Karlsson, and he retreated behind his net to end the 1st.
The 1st period in summary: In a period where not much took place, Detroit was out-shot 10-4 and out-attempted 17-11. It was a bit of a sleepy affair as both teams tested each other’s defenses and went back and forth.
Statistically, Detroit was out-shot 10-5 and out-attempted 17-11; hits 8-3 Ottawa; giveaways 6-3 Detroit, takeaways 2-1 Detroit (possession changes 7-5 Ottawa); blocked shots 4-4; faceoffs 9-9 (50%).
Individually, Athanasiou led the Wings with 2 shots, and Hicketts, Larkin and Svechnikov had 1 shot; Hicketts, Mantha and Bertuzzi had hits; Ericsson had 2 giveaways; Jensen and Nielsen had 1 takeaway; Ericsson blocked 3 shots, Frk 1; Zetterberg’s 3-and-2 (60%) led the Wings in the faceoff dot; Detroit was “even,” and Hicketts led the Wings with 8:39 played; Larkin played 6:39; DeKeyser and Ericsson played 6:33, Daley 6:26, Athanasiou 5:47, Nielsen 6:43, Zetterberg 4:45.
— Detroit Red Wings (@DetroitRedWings) March 31, 2018
FSD had the scoring chances at 3-1 on the Sens’ 10-6 shot advantage.
The 2nd period
2nd period observations:
- Larkin lost the initial faceoff and Joe Hicketts played the puck around to DeKeyser, who was blasted with a heavy hit;
- Helm, Larkin and Mantha worked the puck into Ottawa’s zone, but the Sens streaked the other way 2-on-1, and Pageau slid a pass to a teammate, retrieved the puck from Dzingel and sent the puck wide…
And as the Red Wings headed to the power play as Jean-Gabriel Pageau got tagged for high sticking at 43 seconds. Borowiecki actually high-sticked Larkin.
- The Senators won the deep defensive zone draw and cleared it down the ice, where Kronwall set up behind the Wings’ net.
- Kronwall engaged in a lateral pass before Zetterberg dropped it to Nyquist; the play actually worked, Zetterberg and Kronwall fed the puck to Nyquist who found Bertuzzi for a fanned attempt;
- Nyquist fed Kronwall for a deflected shot, and Bertuzzi put a shot off a leg, and Kronwall kept the puck in once but not twice.
- Zetterberg fed Nielsen as the Wings began to change units some 1:10 into the PP, and Zetterberg and Nielsen gave and went with Larkin, Nielsen worked the right wing half boards, Hicketts held the puck in for Frk, and Zetterberg fed Larkin for a side-of-the-net shot that Condon stopped.
- The 2nd unit drew in for an offensive zone faceoff with 25 seconds remaining on the PP, Larkin won it to Hicketts, then Frk, he sent a cross-slot pass to Nielsen, who was blocked off, but Frk and Hicketts played the puck down low for a big boomer that was blocked, and Hicketts poked the puck down into the slot.
- The power play expired with a shot off Condon as its only chance.
- Ottawa penetrated the Wings’ zone but stayed for a short period of time as Detroit iced the puck;
- Glendening drew in and won a faceoff to Daley, Helm fed Athanasiou, and he streaked in on Condon, who made a good stop;
- AA, Glendening and Frk then surrendered a rush to Dzingel, who split the Wings’ D and sent a sneaky shot off Howard and the goalpost;
- Ottawa picked things up considerably;
- Detroit managed to play the puck out to center, and Helm tried to feed Larkin for a near-breakaway, but the Sens’ D stood up;
- Detroit re-set at center and Mantha fed Larkin for an easy goal.
Ottawa surrendered the puck at the Red Wings’ blueline, 4 Senators raced into the Wings’ zone, leaving Karlsson alone, and Jensen fed Mantha for a 2-on-1, he found Larkin and Larkin had an empty net in which to shovel the puck.
— NHL GIFs (@NHLGIFs) March 31, 2018
- On the post-goal shift, Colin White pushed the puck deep for Ottawa, Detroit parried the rush, and MANTHA broke in on Condon, but was stopped as he got hacked.
- Sans penalty.
- Easy save for Condon as a result.
- 4:51 into the 2nd, Helm drew in for an offensive zone draw, Nyquist stuffed the puck in on Condon, and he made the stop;
- Ottawa chipped and chased, with Howard steering a shot into the corner;
- Ottawa tried to set up, but Nyquist, Bertuzzi and Hicketts chugged up into the Sens’ zone, Bertuzzi battled deep, and Ottawa cleared, with Daley battling Paajarvi out of the Wings’ end;
- Glendening, Frk and Svechnikov did a fine job of both battling the puck deep into the Sens’ zone and coming back to push the puck out of trouble as Glendening was dehelmeted by Borowiecki;
- Ottawa’s response was to chip the puck out of play, into its own bench, triggering a timeout at 7:24.
- At 7:24, Detroit led in shots 6-2 in the 2nd but trailed 12-11 overall; attempts 21-20 Detroit; hits 10-6 Ottawa; giveaways 7-3 Detroit, takeaways 2-1 Detroit; blocked shots 7-4 Ottawa; faceoffs 13-12 Detroit (52%).
- When play resumed, Jensen, Abdelkader and Nielsen cycled in the corner, DeKeyser held the puck in with Jensen’s help, and Nielsen got hacked fairly heavily by Borowiecki, affording the Sens a chip and chase scenario where Hoffman sent a shot in on Howard, who gloved the Sens’ shot.
- Detroit continued to press offensively as Helm, Ericsson and Mantha chipped and changed, and Mantha pumped the puck back to Larkin in the high slot, but his shot was blocked;
- Daley chipped and chased, Helm jabbed at a puck in the slot, but Borowiecki sent the puck to center, where Smith fed the puck deep, and the Wings chipped and changed;
- Jensen slid the puck into the Sens’ zone, Bertuzzi battled the Sens to find Nyquist, Kronwall sent a shot off a leg and Bertuzzi swept the puck into Condon;
- When the Sens cleared the puck to center ice, Detroit chipped and changed, but was called for icing at 9:12;
- Ottawa won the offensive zone faceoff back to Karlsson, he regrouped at center, and Howard made a good stop on Chlapik;
- Chabot battled with Duchene to swipe the puck from Bertuzzi, and Ottawa pushed the puck to Karlsson, whose shot was blocked by Howard; Howard stopped Duchene’s simple rebound attempt as well.
- With 10:09 remaining in the 2nd, Frk and Svechnikov nearly combined for a scoring play as the Wings raced away from an icing call against, and Frk and Svechnikov did a better job of helping the Wings check as Ottawa attempted to attack;
- Ericsson and Ceci got into a slashing fight, sans penalties…
- So Daley broke out and slid sideways to find Nielsen; he cycled with Hicketts, and Ottawa cleared the puck and touched up with a high stick.
- At 11:03, Detroit was out-shooting Ottawa 8-5 in the 2nd and was out-shot 15-13 overall; attempts 26-25 Detroit; hits 10-8 Ottawa; giveaways 7-4 Detroit, takeaways 2-1 Detroit; blocked shots 9-6 Ottawa; faceoffs 15-13 Ottawa (54%).
- When play resumed, Detroit won the blueline draw, chipped and chased, parried away a Senators rush, and when Ottawa set up in the Wings’ zone, Claesson sent a shot just wide of Howard, Athanasiou and DeKeyser and Hicketts worked the puck deep, and changed;
- Detroit battled the puck into the slot, Mantha was hit by Borowiecki, Larkin stood up to the Sens’ bully and Condon stifled a Wings shot.
- Larkin drew in and won an offensive zone draw that Mantha pumped back to the point, and Kronwall jabbed a puck into Condon;
- Larkin and Mantha had to come back as Ottawa set up in the Wings’ zone, with Dzingel pushing the puck to Ceci at the point, and his shot was blocked; Ceci sent the puck deep to White, to Duchene it went, and Larkin and Mantha negated an icing call and afforded Detroit a change, with Athanasiou stealing the puck and Svechnikov losing possession;
- Ottawa chipped and changed, Daley facilitated an outlet pass, and Ericsson skated into the Sens’ zone, dropped it to Frk, Frk skated deep and worked with Svechnikov, and he missed Athanasiou.
- Detroit changed lines, with Zetterberg taking over, and Nyquist and Hicketts were both stripped of the puck, with Hicketts taking a penalty.
Hicketts was called for slashing at 14:25.
— Dana Wakiji (@Dwakiji) March 31, 2018
- At 14:25, Detroit was out-shooting Ottawa 9-6 in the 2nd but was out-shot 16-14 overall; attempts 28-26 Detroit; hits 11-11; giveaways 7-4 Detroit; takeaways 2-1 Detroit; blocked shots 10-6 Ottawa; faceoffs 16-14 Detroit (53%).
- Glendening drew in for the PK faceoff, and he lost it;
- Karlsson set up with Hoffman, who coughed up the puck, and Detroit was able to force the Sens to skate back into their own zone;
- Ottawa set up, skated into the Wings’ zone, and Chabot dumped, Karlsson chased, Hoffman set up at the point and switched with Karlsson, reversed to the line, and Chabot fed Karlsson, Chabot sent a shot off a Wings shin guard and out to center;
- With 50 remaining in the PK, Ottawa went offside, so Detroit could carry the puck out to center, and Jensen chipped and chased;
- Nielsen, Helm, DeKeyser and Jensen then stood up to Dzingel and White, and the Wings cleared the zone with ease;
- Ottawa then went offside, and the Wings tied up the final PP faceoff, with Daley and Kronwall sending the puck deep into Ottawa’s zone as the PK expired.
- Abdelkader skated into Ottawa’s zone and chipped a shot into Condon.
- Larkin drew in for an offensive zone faceoff with 3:16 remaining in the 2nd, and the Wings lost it, so Ottawa chipped and chased its own, with Jensen and Kronwall sending the puck to Mantha, and Condon played the puck around the boards so the Sens could send the puck to center;
- Jensen flipped a puck to Svechnikov and he crashed and banged behind the net, with Mantha and Athanasiou working togetehr to get the puck to Hicketts, and his shot went off Condon and right to Mantha, who sent a rebound in on Condon.
- Ottawa then allowed Zetterberg to skate into the Sens’ zone, Chabot was dumped, and Nyquist tried to feed the puck in front.
- Instead, Hicketts and DeKeyser worked the puck laterally and down low, Detroit cycled, and Hicketts pinched, with Ottawa skating in 4-on-2 as a result.
- Pyatt could not center the puck the first time, but the second time he got a shot off that Howard stopped.
- Detroit changed lines with 1:13 remaining, and Larkin, Helm and Frk worked the puck to Ericsson, he avoided a hit, and Frk fed Daley, Daley chipped, Ottawa cleared and came up 3 on 2 with Hoffman feeding Duchene, but Howard gloved the puck and made an easy stop.
- Nielsen drew in for a defensive zone draw with 38.3 remaining in the 2nd, he was tossed, Athanasiou lost the draw, Howard stopped Karlsson, and Ottawa retreated to its own zone.
- Ottawa skated into the Wings’ end, the Sens sent a point shot wide of Howard, and Svechnikov and Nielsen and Athanasiou “ate clock” to end the 2nd period.
The 2nd period in summary: The Red Wings were able to score the first goal of the game because their structure was excellent throughout the second period, with Detroit doing a good job of stifling Senators rushes and the Wings dominating the shots and attempts.
Statistically, Detroit out-shot Ottawa 11-9 in the 2nd, and was out-shot 19-16 overall; attempts were 31-31; hits 12-11 Ottawa; giveaways 7-2 Detroit, takeaways 2-1 Detroit (possession changes 8-4 Ottawa); blocked shots 11-7 Ottawa; faceoffs 18-16 Ottawa (47%).
Individually, Larkin and Athanasiou led the Wings with 3 shots apiece, and Jensen and Mantha had 2 shots; Hicketts, Abdelkader, Glendening and Nielsen had 2 hits; Ericsson had 2 giveaways; Jensen and Nielsen had takeaways, Ericsson blocked 3 shots, Jensen 2; Zetterberg’s 5-and-3 (63%) led the Wings in the faceoff circle; Detroit was +5, and Hicketts led the Wings with 14:38 played; Daley played 13:42, DeKeyser 13:33, Larkin 12:56, Ericsson 12:40, Athanasiou 12:00, Kronwall 11:23, Jensen 10:59, Nielsen 10:32, Zetterberg 10:27, Mantha 10:17.
FSD had the scoring chances at 7-6 Detroit despite the Wings’ 19-16 shot disadvantage.
— Detroit Red Wings (@DetroitRedWings) March 31, 2018
The 3rd period:
3rd period observations:
- Larkin drew in for the opening faceoff and the Senators won the faceoff, and pushed the puck to the Wings’ line, where a staggered dump-in yielded a Hicketts chip and a Mantha pass to an open wing, but Helm covered up and cleared the puck.
- Ottawa dumped the puck down ice and iced it 35 seconds into the 3rd.
- Zetterberg drew in and won an offensive zone draw, but Nyquist lost the puck to Pageau, Ottawa chipped and changed, and the Wings responded with Zetterberg charging up the ice himself, firing a wrist shot on Condon.
- Athanasiou had to substitute for Nielsen on the next draw, and he won the faceoff to Daley, who sent a long shot in on Condon.
- The Wings were unable to retain possession, but Detroit worked the puck to center, Ottawa chipped and stole the puck, but Daley and Nielsen worked the puck out to center;
- Dzingel battled with Daley, as did White, and the Sens sent a shot in that Ericsson blocked, and while Athanasiou was able to get to center ice, Duchene swiped the puck…
And Athanasiou cleared the puck out of play in the Wings’ defensive zone, sitting for delay of game at 1:55.
- Detroit lost the defensive zone draw and Ottawa set up, with Hoffman working the puck down low, Karlsson pinching for Pageau, Ottawa pumping the puck to Karlsson again, and Pageau centering the puck for Duchene, whose shot went high and wide;
- Karlsson took a recoil and fired it wide, and Duchene had a prime scoring opportunity in the slot but missed wide trying to pass.
- Duchene and Hoffman re-set, Chabot fed Karlsson and Howard made a good stop by squeezing the puck between elbow and body.
- Ottawa lost the next draw but swiped the puck and set up on the PP: Ceci sent a shot in that was blocked, and Helm’s block nearly resulted in a breakaway;
- Ceci’s block then resulted in a short spate of Sens possession, and Detroit dumped and changed;
- With 10 seconds remaining on the PP, Ottawa set up, with Ceci, Wolanin and Ryan pushing the puck deep and then chipping it in to force the Wings to regroup.
- The Sens then lobbed a puck into the Wings’ end and iced it 4:23 into the 3rd.Detroit won the offensive zone draw…
Svechnikov went into the crease and Andreas Athanasiou took the rebound of a Kronwall shot and fired the puck over Condon to make it 2-1…
But Ottawa challenged due to goaltender interference. Svechnikov was pushed into the goaltender by Borowiecki.
- Athanasiou and Mantha pushed the puck into the Sens’ zone off the center ice draw, and Ottawa chipped the puck out, but Athanasiou sent the puck up to Jensen, and Svechnikov jabbed the puck toward Condon, who covered up.
- Zetterberg then took an offensive zone draw and fed Bertuzzi, but was unable to stuff the puck on Condon. Bertuzzi cycled instead, and got Hicketts a pass off Hicketts’ butt which Hicketts ultimately sent into Condon;
- Detroit regrouped at center, and Ottawa flipped the puck out of trouble, with Duchene sending the puck into Detroit’s zone with a high stick deflection.
- Nielsen won the next draw and the Wings were on the defensive, with Pageau and Claesson forcing Ericsson and Daley to chip the puck out of trouble;
- At center ice, Nielsen forced a turnover, but Hoffman swiped the puck…offside…yielding a quick commercial break at 6:15.
- At 6:15, Detroit out-shot Ottawa 3-2 in the 2nd but was out-shot 21-19 overall; attempts 37-35 Ottawa; hits 13-11 Ottawa; giveaways 8-5 Detroit, takeaways 2-1 Detroit; blocked shots 11-10 Ottawa; faceoffs 24-20 (55%) Detroit.
- The Red Wings won the blueline draw and Helm fed Larkin, who picked the puck out of the air, but could not score in the slot. He sent a wide shot in on Condon instead, and the Wings regrouped at center, with Helm skating in and firing a shot off Condon.
- Ottawa charged up 3 on 2, and Pageau tried to feed Karlsson on the rush. He could not, so Pageau pushed the puck back to Karlsson at the point, and Howard stopped the shot.
- Detroit then afforded Ottawa another scoring attempt, and Howard stopped Paajarvi, Detroit chugged up the other way, and off the rush, Svechnikov fed Glendening for a shot that was stopped by Condon.
- The Wings stole a puck from Ottawa in its slot off the next exchange, but the Wings both sent the shot wide nad suffered a penalty…
- On the delayed infraction, Ottawa gained Detroit’s blueline but blocked the Sens’ shot…
And Svechnikov headed to the box for slashing at 7:48.
- Phantom penalty at best.
- Ottawa set up on the PP as an umbrella, using Hoffman, Karlsson and Pageau, and Howard made a good stop on Hoffman in tight, though there was a quick whistle which aided Howard;
- Ottawa won the next draw, Pageau fed Chabot, he set up with Karlsson and Hoffman, and Detroit blocked the Sens out to center;
- Ottawa skated back in, with Karlsson trying to poke the puck deep, and Nielsen both nearly stole the puck and blocked a Karlsson shot;
- Detroit ground the puck out down low, but Hoffman emerged with the puck out of the scrum and got a point blank shot on Howard, who made a WONDERFUL blocker stop.
- The Sens sent the puck around the back boards off a shoot-in, Wolanin and Dzingel set up, feeding Ryan, and Dzingel sent a shot high and wide, with Svechnikov exiting the box in time to clear the puck to center himself.
- 10 minutes into the 3rd, Ottawa chipped the puck into the Wings’ zone, Detroit regrouped, but Howard gave the puck to White, who sent a shot in that Howard stopped;
- Nyquist and Bertuzzi worked with Zetterberg to set up a couple of shot attempts, by Nyquist, Bertuzzi and Zetterberg, and the Sens took a penalty for holding on the play.
Borowiecki was called for holding at 10:41 of the 3rd.
- At 10:41, Detroit was out-shot 8-6 in the 3rd and 27-22 overall; attempts 43-39 Ottawa; hits 13-11 Ottawa; giveaways 10-5 Detroit, takeaways 3-1 Detroit; blocked shots 11-10 Ottawa; faceoffs 28-21 Detroit (57%).
- The Red Wings lost the initial deep offensive zone faceoff, but Detroit was able to skate up to center and Nielsen worked the drop pass to Larkin, who spun back and fed Hicketts…
- Hicketts tried to skate through center, and was successful, but Frk and company were unable to keep the puck in the Sens’ zone, and Ottawa’s Pyatt and Burrows battled the puck deep into the Wings’ zone.
- Detroit changed a full 1:05 into the PP, and Nyquist was able to enter the zone with speed, he dropped the puck to Nyquist, the pair gave and went, fed Zetterberg, and he sent a pass to Abdelkader in the slot. Abdelkader was blocked off by Condon.
- Zetterberg drew in with 33 seconds left on the PP and 7:51 left in regulation, and the Sens ended up winning the draw, flipping the puck out of trouble and forcing Howard to make a stop.
- Zetterberg took the defensive zone draw and tied it up, with Nyquist and Kronwall setting up.
- Kronwall tried to feed Nyquist for a breakaway off the breakout, but Condon sniffed out the play and pushed the puck out of trouble.
- Ottawa tied up the next draw, and Glendening was unable to keep the puck in the Sens’ zone, so Athanasiou, Glendening and Helm worked the puck back into the Sens’ zone, Ottawa battled the puck into the Wings’ end with urgency…
- And instead, Helm and Athanasiou BOTH nearly scored off breakaway and wraparound attempts, respectively.
- Ottawa survived the scare, with Condon stopping Helm and Athanasiou sending the puck wide;
- Detroit then surrendered a rush to the Sens off an offside, and a Ceci shot blocked into the crowd yielded a TV timeout at 14:03.
- When play resumed, Zetterberg lost the deep defensive zone draw, the Ottawa sent the puck out of trouble, and Zetterberg, Nyquist and Bertuzzi raced into the Sens’ zone, with Ericsson feeding Nyquist for a shot that was tipped through the Sens’ slot.
- Zetterberg found Bertuzzi, Bertuzzi sent the puck back to nobody, and Howard sent the Wings away.
- Abdelkader, Athanasiou and Nielsen all piled up in the corner vs. Pageau, Ceci and Wolanin, and Abdelkader briefly came out with the puck, but Ottawa won the war, dumped, chased, and could not do much with the puck.
- Detroit changed with the puck at center ice, Ottawa surrendered the puck to Larkin, and he was stopped once and twice by Condon.
- Hicketts pinched, but the Sens skated up to center ice;
- Larkin skated back in, was picked off, and Ottawa and Detroit changed on the fly with 3:26 remaining.
- Detroit worked the puck deep but surrendered a 2-on-1, and the Wings parried the Sens’ rush;
- Ottawa pushed the puck into Detroit’s zone, and Howard stopped both a point shot and a couple of Senators shot attempts as Claesson and McCormick hacked and whacked at Howard.
- With 2:50 remaining in the 3rd period, Ottawa won the offensive zone faceoff, Bertuzzi cleared the zone, and Ottawa set up, skated back in, and Bertuzzi centered the puck for DeKeyser, who made a big clear.
- Detroit pumped the puck out and to center, and Ottawa sort of fumbled their way through center as they pulled Karlsson with 1:50 remaining.
- Abdelkader then got the stick snapped in half by Bobby Ryan, and Ryan went off.
Bobby Ryan exited for slashing at 18:19.
- Mantha, Larkin, Helm, Kronwall and DeKeyser set up, cycled around the perimeter down low, and Larkin tried to free Helm, but instead, Pageau and Duchene skated into Detroit’s zone, Howard tried to glove the puck, and Ottawa took over at center ice.
- Pageau raced up and into the Wings’ zone as Ottawa raced in, and Karlsson jabbed and fell, Jensen backhanded the puck to center, Mantha fed Larkin and the puck did not settle down, so Hoffman sent the puck to the line, where Larkin and Zetterberg worked a give-and-go, with Condon making a big stop.
- Jensen pinched as well, bumbled the puck, and killed the clock.
The 3rd period in summary: The Red Wings did an excellent job of killing clock throughout a 3rd period in which they were sometimes out-played but not out-positioned. Detroit worked its tail off to secure a victory, and whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing depends on your point of view.
Here’s the Game Summary…
And the Event Summary:
The final shot attempts were 52-46 Ottawa on their 31-27 shot advantage.